What To Do If You Missed Your Court Date While Out On Bond

Do you want to retire someday but are afraid you won’t be able to afford to quit your job? Find out how a financial advisor can help.

What To Do If You Missed Your Court Date While Out On Bond

1 October 2018
 Categories: Finance & Money, Blog

Whether it was by accident or on purpose, you could be wondering what to do now that you have missed your court date. If you missed a court date while out on bond, these are the steps that you'll probably need to take so that you can straighten the situation out.

Talk to an Attorney

First, you should definitely talk with an attorney if you are in this situation. If you have already hired an attorney to help with your case, he or she should be able to provide some guidance about the situation. If you have not yet hired an attorney to represent you, it's important to do this as soon as you can. Your attorney can talk to you about your original charges and any additional charges that you might be facing now that you missed your court date, such as failure to appear charges. Then, he or she can help by providing you with guidance about what to do next.

Work Something Out with Your Bail Bondsman

If you used the services of a bail bondsmen to get out of jail, then there is a chance that the bail bondsman that you used is looking for you right now. After all, the bondsman will be held responsible for the full amount of the bail if you don't turn yourself in or get brought in for missing your court date. Contacting your bail bondsman to try to work something out can help with this situation, and your bondsman might even agree to bail you out again if you turn yourself in. Just make sure that you talk to your attorney before you call the bail bonds service.

Turn Yourself In

After you have talked to your attorney and a bail bondsman, it will be time to turn yourself in. Even though the idea of turning yourself in to law enforcement might not sound particularly appealing, it's better than trying to avoid law enforcement. If you or your attorney call ahead of time, you can let law enforcement know that you are planning to turn yourself in, and you can make arrangements to show at on a certain day and at a certain time. You can also find out about where you need to go. Hopefully, you will be able to post bond again so that you can go home. If the court will not give you a bond or if you can't find a bail bondsman who will get you out of jail, though, you may have to stay in the county jail until you go to court.

About Me
An Enjoyable Retirement

Several years ago, my dear dad decided he needed to start saving money for retirement. After speaking with an experienced financial advisor, my parent started a Roth IRA. Over the years, my dad’s retirement account has accumulated a substantial sum of money. He recently told me he plans to retire after working for two more years. Do you want to retire someday but are afraid you won’t be able to afford to quit your job? Consider scheduling an appointment with a reputable financial advisor in your area. This professional can talk with you and help you develop a personalized savings plan. On this blog, I hope you will discover the most common methods people utilize to save money for retirement.